Tuesday, March 8, 2011

A (relatively) short and (maybe not always) sweet introduction to my life.

I became a mom to a beautiful baby boy on May 12, 2007, which happened to be the day before Mother's Day in this particular year. He arrived a month early according to the doctors, but according to me and my calculations, just two weeks early. Due to jaundice, he was readmitted into the hospital three days after he was born, a very scary time for new parents. We stayed with him in the hospital (my husband and I sharing a twin bed to sleep) for over four days and then were happily released again on the Friday. A week later, we were called by our pediatrician at around 5 o'clock in the afternoon because there were irregularities in his bloodwork, and could we please come down to the office right now. It turns out my son, who we named Brennen, tested positve for isovaleric acidemia, a rare disorder in which the body is unable to process certain proteins properly. After countless tests and more bloodwork (by this time we had renamed the phlebotomists vampires), we learned he does not have the disorder, but we did have a rather sleepless week. Luckily for me, I did not have to return to work six weeks after Brennen was born because I had the entire summer to bond with my son. It was a blissful and wonderful time, and I reluctantly left him in my mom's (Gram's) capable hands come August. Now, I will fast forward to the present. Brennen is now a 3 1/2 year old active little boy who keeps his parents on his toes, which is why I am starting this blog to relate the sometimes "Interesting and Crazy Life of a Working Mom." And in case you might be wondering, we have not added any more children to our family, and there is no plan to add any in the future. Brennen keeps us entertained and laughing (sometimes crying) constantly. If you have come upon my blog and are asking yourself its purpose, it is this to let others have a little chuckle (maybe a big guffaw) at our crazy but wonderful, happy life.

No comments:

Post a Comment