Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Camping in the Great...Backyard

Several years ago I was inspired by a well-known reality tv family who decided to take their numerous kids camping in their very own backyard. I thought to myself "what a great way to introduce the concept of camping to young children," plus as a mom who has never really been camping before it seemed like a safe alternative to the woods. Our son at the time was too young to really appreciate the experience, so we waited for the right moment. Throughout winter, my husband, Brian, and I discussed camping out this coming spring, so he started looking at tents, air matresses and the essentials for camping out. Mardi Gras, a south Louisiana holiday, seemed like the perfect time to try our expedition. My husband bought the necessary supplies, and we talked it up to Brennen, who was excited at sleeping in his tent. So, Monday night the temperature was perfect, no rain in the forecast, and we didn't have to work the next day. We cooked hotdogs on the grill and had homemade chocolate chip cookies for dessert (in our tent of course). We left all our electronic devices in the house and at nine o'clock settled down in our tent. My son drifts off to sleep first cozied up to his dad. Then, I hear the gentle snoring of my husband. I am left wide awake listening to all the night sounds. Before I go any further, let me explain our exact location. We live on an acre of land outside of the city limits. We have one close neighbor who lives on several acres. There are houses on our country road; you can see them but I wouldn't say they are exactly our neighbors. Mostly there are fields with crops growing to the front of our property and to the back of our property and cows to our left, or right, depending on your perspective. Inside my home, I hear very little noise at night. Our bedroom is at the back of our house, so we usually have a quiet, restful sleep. I had no clue how noisey the country really is at night. As I laid in the tent, I heard dogs barking; I saw lights from passing cars. Worst of all, the grass was rustling from some unknown creatures outside the tent. Two hours later, I quietly asked my husband if we could go inside. I just could not take it anymore. He didn't mind because he wasn't getting much sleep either. So, he carried our son back into the house; I carried the blankets and pillows, and we spent the rest of the night in our comfy bed. This will not be my last attempt. I think I will be better prepared next time and know what to expect. Plus, I fully intend to bring a night light. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment